Smoke Management Plans
Prescribed Burning for Forest Management and Smoke Management
In Amador County, Prescribed Burning is primarily used by Sierra Pacific Industries, Cal Fire, and US Forest Service. It is also used by some other private timber companies. This program is not used by individuals for regular residential burning, or even those burning large piles.
If you would like to know more about this type of burning, here are some links to pursue:
- Air Resources Board FACT SHEET for Prescribed Burning and Smoke Management.
Elements of the Amador SMP program include:
Registering and Permitting of Agricultural and Prescribed Burns
Meteorological and Smoke Management Forecasting
Daily Burn Authorization
If your project requires a Smoke Management Plan and approval, you must:
1. Complete the SMP Worksheet
2. Have a valid Large Pile Burn Permit
3. Present the completed SMP Worksheet to the District for review and approval.
Please allow time, 2 weeks, for the review process.
4. Send the Daily Authorization Sheet to the District the day before each burn for approval and sign-off
per instructions page 11 of the SMP Worksheet. This link provides the Daily Authorization Sheet only.
If you have any questions or need assistance with the Smoke Management Plan,
please call the District at 209/257-0112