Marriage License

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


In order to obtain a public marriage license, both parties must appear in person with current photo I.D. and the fee of $65.00, in the form of a check,money order or cash, between the hours of 8am and 3:30pm Monday thru Friday.  This license is valid for 90 days, meaning the marriage ceremony must be performed within 90 days.

If either party has a previous marriage that ended in dissolution/divorce or annulment within the last year a copy of the final judgment for dissolution/divorce or annulment must be provided at the time the license is purchased.  If the dissolution/divorce or annulment was more than a year ago the exact date must be provided at the time the license is purchased.

If you have unusual circumstances or any additional questions please call us at 209-223-6468


What You Should Know About the Name Equality Act of 2007 

The Name Equality Act of 2007 (AB 102, Chapter 567, Statutes of 2007) gives specific rights to parties at the time they are applying for a California marriage license to choose and list on the marriage license the new name that each party will go by after marriage.

The new law pertains to marriage licenses issued on or after 01/01/2009.  It does not apply to marriage licenses issued prior to that date.

Parties are not required to have the same name, nor are they required to change their name.

If one or both of the parties want to have their new name(s) shown on the marriage license, the new name must be entered on the marriage license application at the time they are applying for the marriage license.  The parties may choose any of the following middle or last names as the name they wish to be known as after marriage FC 306.5(b)(2)

  • Current last name of the other spouse
  • Last name of either spouse given at birth
  • A name combining into a single last name all or a segment of the current last name or last names of either spouse given at birth
  • A hyphenated combination of last names

 ** It is unlawful for our employees to answer questions of a legal nature.  County Clerk staff cannot advise you how to complete the marriage license application as it relates to your entry of a new name or retention of your former name on the marriage license application.  For your protection, if you have any questions regarding whether you should or should not list your new name on the marriage license application, and/or how the Name Equality Act of 2007 may affect you, please consult an attorney prior to applying for your marriage license.