In an effort to ensure that all voters in Amador County have the ability to cast a ballot that is independent, private and secure, the County Elections office has established a Voting and Language Accessibility Advisory Committee (VLAAC).
We are seeking individuals who can meet regularly (every 2 months) to examine the voting needs of, and give a voice to, the disability and independent living communities, as well voters with English as a second language. We are ideally looking to bring together 5 to 8 community representatives to collaborate with members of the Elections staff to improve voting accessibility.
The duties of this committee are:
- Determine if the elections office is prepared to provide election materials in accessible formats if requested by voters.
- Media plans for voters with disabilities and language minority communities.
- Help plan required voter education for voters with disabilities and ESL voters
- Help plan the required voter education workshops for members of the disabled and ESL communities.
- Comment on the voter education and outreach plans.
- Community presence to the language minority communities.
- Review required accessibility of website information that must be posted for voters.
- Assess vote center locations and the needs of voters with disabilities.
- Assess ballot drop off locations and the needs of voters with disabilities.
- Plans to educate the public about Voter’s Choice Act.
If you feel you or someone you know would be suited for this committee, that is great!
The ideal candidate would be willing to make a year long commitment (6 meetings), be versed in the accessibility needs of the disability and independent living communities, or minority languages, and be willing to share their knowledge and experience in a positive, collaborative environment.
The proposed meeting schedule for the Amador County Voting and Language Accessibility Advisory Committee is bi-monthly, on the third Wednesday of the month from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM. Following that outline, the proposed meeting dates for the first six meetings are:
- Wednesday, June 19, 2019 ( agenda | minutes )
- Wednesday, August 21, 2019 ( agenda | minutes )
- Wednesday, October 16, 2019
- Wednesday, December 18, 2019
- Wednesday, February 19, 2020
- Wednesday, April 15, 2020
Please complete and return the simple VLAAC Member Information Form if you are interested in joining our VLAAC. We are excited to get started and see what we can do as a community to improve our voting experiences for all voters!
Feel free to reach out to us with any questions or suggestions at (209) 223-6465 or via email at email@example.com. Also, feel free to share this with anyone you feel may bring value to these discussions.