Drought or In Case of Emergency

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

In the event of an emergency, such as pump failure, water quality or water quantity problems, a homeowner may find it necessary to haul bulk water. Hauling water should only be considered a temporary solution, as it does not provide the equivalent level of public health protection or reliability as an approved municipal water source or a permanent on-site water supply well.  A homeowner in need of emergency hauled potable water should only hire water haulers with a potable Water Hauler License issued by the California Department of Public Health, Food and Drug Branch.   

Are you having problems with your household water well? Rural Community Assistance Corporation has a low-interest household water well system loan program that may be able to help. RCAC provides low-interest loans to low-income rural residents in California to construct, refurbish or replace their household water well system. Applicants must own and occupy the home being improved or be purchasing the home. New home construction and community water systems are not eligible.  Visit for more information.

Rural Development, an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), delivers a number of programs to help improve the quality of life in rural communities throughout the nation. These programs may also help rural communities, businesses and individuals impacted by California’s ongoing drought conditions. Opportunities include assisting rural communities whose water supply is at risk, homeowners that need help drilling a well or connecting to a water system, food banks that anticipate increased demand and ag producers wanting to offset ag irrigation costs among others. For additional resources and information on applying for any of these programs go to